The Chateau
The vineyard
wine making
contact us
online shopping


fr | eng

Le Chateau

During the 17th century, the estate stretched on more than 550 hectares (1300 acres). It belonged to the monks of Saint Jean and housed sheepfolds known as “La Métairie de Caudéran”.
During the 19th century Monsieur Mathieu SEURIN, who was a ship-owner, bought the estate. Towards 1870, he bestowed on the property a fine château, stables, an aviary, and a pigeon house. When he died in 1890 – under the rule of the Pope Leon XIII – his wife erected a chapel, dedicating it to Saint Mathieu in his honour.

Château Léognan changed owner during those years. Monsieur Jean Marie DUBOS, of the renowned ‘DUBOS Frères’ wine merchants, became the new owner. He extended the Château with a gallery supported by four columns, and created a pond and a pen for fallow deer.


les vignes
  chapelle du chateau  

At the beginning of the 20th century, the estate was divided again, taking the shape in we find it in today. A promising gravel-sand vein was discovered near the pond, and 6 hectares (15 acres) of vines were planted with the advice and help of the neighbouring estate Domaine de Chevalier, a Classified Grand Cru of Graves.

More recently, in 2006, following a long search for a high quality wine estate, the vineyards and grounds were acquired by Philippe and Chantal MIECAZE. Philippe and Chantal have breathed new life into the property, restoring the sadly dilapidated château and chapel to their former glory. They have also erected a custom-built winery next to their vineyard, where they craft some of the finest wines of the Pessac-Léognan appellation in Graves.

High standard Bed and Breakfast at the Château
visit our website...